Blackduck Evangelical Free Church is the result of a vision of a group of believers that began in 1922 in homes, schoolhouses and tents in the townships east of Blackduck. The church was organized and affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America in 1926. At that time the church met in the Moose Park schoolhouse.

After meeting in many different locations in Blackduck, a piece of property on 1st Street NW was purchased and a basement church was built in 1945. The superstructure was dedicated in the fall of 1947. Much of the lumber used to build the church was cut and sawed by the members of the church.

In 1969 initial moves were made toward the erection of a new building which would better serve the needs and goals of the congregation. A ground-breaking service was held on October 7, 1973 and the first services in the new building were held on October 20, 1974.

Ground was broken for an expansion to the current building on June 5, 2011.
A former pastor of the church (Rev. Arnold Erickson) has written a detailed history of the church.